Blueberry Baked Doughnut Recipe
500gm Frozen mixed berries
100gm Agave nectar or any other sweetener, honey, brown sugar etc
For the dough
500g Strong white bread flour
7g Easy bake yeast
75gm Dried blueberries (or any other dried fruit. This is a bonus, if you don’t have any dried fruit, leave out)
50g Butter (unsalted) (cold, Diced)
1 Medium egg
75g Soft light brown sugar (or any other sugar, I like this one for its caramel like qualities)
1 tsp Salt
For the glaze
- Place all ingredients and a cup of water into a saucepan, bring to the boil, then reduce to a slow simmer.
- Reduce jam by ½ until it has visually thickened
If you have made too much, carefully place excess hot jam into clean jars. Place into a deep oven tray ¾ filled with hot water in the oven at 100 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour, then remove from oven and let cool while still in the water
- Let jam cool
- Slowly bring the milk to a simmer and add butter, remove from the heat. Leave to cool until it is cool enough to put your finger into.
- In a large bowl place the flour, yeast, 75g sugar, dried fruit and salt in a big bowl. Mix the milk and the beaten egg into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon.
- Tip onto a lightly flour dusted surface using the palm of your hand and knead for 10 minutes. It’s ready when you gently poke your finger into it and the dent rises out.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel or cling film and leave to rise until doubled in size. I find the perfect place for this is in the car on a sunny day; this stage takes about an hour
- Tip out the dough and gently knead just 5 times to knock the air out. Cut the dough into 16 even pieces, roll each piece into a ball and sit on 2 lightly oiled baking sheets – they’ll need room between them for proving. Cover the dough again and place back into a warm spot -this takes about another hour, allowing balls to double in size again.
- Preheat your oven to 185 degrees and place a large, deep roasting tray into the bottom of the oven to create a little steam. Place doughnuts into the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- While still warm, brush with melted butter and roll in sugar mix
Serve with jam, these are best eaten warm!
If you don’t want to cook the doughnuts, you can freeze the raw dough in a zip lock bag and defrost and pick up from stage 4.